Welcome to our new website, featuring all the latest information on Debating Matters, including forthcoming events and our latest topic guides. Our previous website is still available as an archive of our work over the past 15 years here.
Debating matters because ideas matter. This is the premise of the Debating Matters Competition for sixth form students which emphasises substance, not just style, and the importance of taking ideas seriously.
When the Academy of Ideas launched the competition in 2003/04, it aimed to present schools with an innovative and engaging approach to debating. Topical debates and a challenging format appeal to students from a wide range of backgrounds, including schools with a long tradition of debating and those with no experience at all.
From February 2019, Debating Matters has come under the auspices of a new charity, boi. Find out more about the charity here.
- Video: the importance of schools debating
- Calling all Sixth Formers! Debating Matters returns to Solent University for Southampton Championship
- Debating Matters returns to Sherborne Girls School for South West Championship
- Hartlepool Sixth Form College clinch Debating Matters North East Championship 2019
- Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School wins DM Oxfordshire Championship
- Special DM public debate at Oxford Union on 27 June
- DM comes to Durham on Friday 5 July