Debating Matters Mission
Debating Matters intends to make the experience of engaging in rigorous, well researched and well thought through public debate available to young students throughout the UK. Through creating an environment where large numbers of schools and students benefit from the Debating Matters experience we aim to raise aspirations for higher educational standards more generally.
Additionally, through partnerships and accreditations, we aim to make the Debating Matters experience available in a significant number of other countries.
Our short term goals
- to make the Debating Matters experience available to as large a number and wide a range of schools and students in the UK as possible.
- to provide training opportunities and educational support that leads to continuous improvement in the quality of the debates that students engage in and assists schools and students new to debate to try Debating Matters out.
- to encourage greater debate activity within schools and greater interaction between schools outside of the formal framework of the Debating Matters competition.
- to involve the growing Debating Matters Alumni Network in meaningful and productive opportunities to assist with the running and development of the competition. In so doing, to feed the continued interest of alumni students in debate and to provide them with enriching personal development opportunities.
Our long term goals
- foster intellectual curiosity and rigour amongst the next generation of leaders globally.
- create an environment which encourages deeper levels of knowledge and understanding about political, social and cultural issues as a precursor to generating new thinking and ideas about solving problems in new ways.
- establish an international network of Debating Matters Alumni that will help to both deepen and extend the work of Debating Matters in the future as well as to assist individuals to support and encourage one another in their future endeavours.
Interested in supporting Debating Matters to acheive these aims? Contact Justine Brian to discuss how you can be involved.